This apple and cranberry appetizer features fruit sauteed with red onion, fresh sage, and a little brandy. Serve on crackers or crostini with Parmesan.
Apples are all over at the Broad Ripple Farmer’s Market here in Indy, and Alex and I have been working on a few seasonal recipes with this crisp and delicious fruit! What a better pairing with the apple than cranberry? These tart berries have the perfect tang to play off of sweet apples. Since we love savory around here, we’ve been playing with the concept of savory apple recipes instead of sweet. This was the genesis of this apple cranberry appetizer, now one of our favorite fall recipes for entertaining. Keep reading for the recipe!
This apple and cranberry appetizer recipe turned out to be a wonderful blend of sweet and savory. The apples and cranberries are sauteed with red onion, fresh sage, and for some complexity: a little brandy! While the brandy is optional, it adds a nice subtle flavor. The Parmesan cheese was also a great compliment to the overall flavors, though it could be omitted as well, or substituted with other cheeses like cream cheese or Brie.
- 1 large red onion (1 cup minced)
- 4 medium apples (5 cups chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped sage (or 4 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Parmesan cheese (or your favorite cheese: blue cheese, aged cheddar, Brie, or cream cheese)
- Crackers, bread, or pita wedges for serving
- Mince the red onion. Core the apples and chop them into bite-sized chunks. Chop the sage.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add apple, sage, and the dried cranberries. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the brandy. Allow to cool slightly, and add a bit of kosher salt to taste.
- Serve over crackers or crostini, garnished with shaved Parmesan cheese.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/apple-cranberry-sage-bites/