The key to making a homemade Hawaiian Pizza that actually tastes REALLY great is to balance out the sweet pineapple with smoky, salty pepperoni and spicy pickled jalapeños. There’s no ham in this recipe! If you think you don’t like Hawaiian pizza, you’ve GOT to try this version.
I try to stay away from controversy on the blog, so making a Hawaiian pizza recipe is a bit of a risk for me.
And I have to say, I get it. I’ve had great Hawaiian pizza, and really not so great Hawaiian pizza. Traditionally, Hawaiian pizza is pizza with pineapple and ham on it.
But here’s what I’ve concluded: ham is too sweet to pair with the pineapple on a pizza. Pizza is supposed to be savory and salty.
The solution? Nix the ham, and opt instead for pepperoni. Smoky and salty, it’s the PERFECT balance with the sweet pineapple. Add a few spicy jalapeño peppers to the mix and you’ve got the trifecta: sweet, salty, and spicy.
The key to a Hawaiian pizza recipe that ACTUALLY tastes good is balancing the sweet pineapple with spicy jalapeños and smoky, salty pepperoni- no ham here!
- 1 prepared pizza dough
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 16 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. pepperoni
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños
- 8 oz. canned pineapple chunks or about 1/2 cup fresh
- chopped fresh cilantro for serving (optional)
- Place your pizza pan (or stone) in the oven and preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- While the pan is heating, roll out the pizza dough and prep your toppings.
- Once the oven is heated, remove the pizza pan (carefully!) and place the dough on top of it (see notes if you're using a stone). Be careful not to touch the pan as it will be very hot.
- Spread the pizza sauce (3/4 cup) on the dough. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese (16 oz.), followed by the pepperoni (2 oz.), sliced red onion (1/4 cup), pickled jalapeños (1/4 cup), and pineapple chunks (8 oz.).
- Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted, bubbly, and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven (I like using a pizza paddle to do this), sprinkle with fresh cilantro, slice, and serve!
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/hawaiian-pizza/